Thursday, April 9, 2009

Terrify No More

I just finished one of the suggested readings for my trip to Cambodia and it was intense. I learned so much.

I learned about an organization that isn't just working to rescue young girls, but their mission actually works to stop the sex trade in Cambodia. They don't just save the girls and leave the brothels to replace the girls. They don't just buy the girls out to leave the brothels with more money than they would have even made on her before. They take the girls, put them in aftercare facilities, and work with Cambodian police to arrest the perpetrators. They do whatever it takes to stop this thriving business.

I learned so much about what I will be walking through when I walk the streets of Phnom Penh in less than two months. In less than two months I will see the places I read about... I will even meet girls just like the ones I read about.

I read so many stories of slaves gaining a freedom they were tricked out of earlier in life. So many of the people caught in slavery were tricked there. So many of the girls are tricked by older women and then sold. So many of these girls are sold by parents, aunts, or uncles... even husbands. So many of the people in slavery are bonded by a debt that was gained by a relative so many generations earlier that they don't even know their name. They are bonded by lies and threats. It's so frustrating!

But it's something I think everyone needs to know about. Dateline did a report on it, actually on the specific raid that took place in the book. I found it online and found it crazy to see the stories I read.

Well there is my little rant about Cambodia and about the new realization I have had on how much slavery there is in the world.

I am in awe that God is letting me be a part of this mission.

No comments: