Tuesday, July 7, 2009

A very special guitar.

There were two girls who I met at Rapha House that had a pretty big impact on my life. These two girls are sisters. Their ages are 13 and 17. They have lived at Rapha House for three years. Originally, they were sold for labor trafficking in a boating community... but eventually they were exploited in the community. They were sold together, rescued together, and now they love life together.

Right now I want to tell you about one of them. The older sister had a huge impact on my life. She was actually the very first girl that introduced herself to me at the beginning of the welcoming party. I had no idea that she would continue to hold such a special place in my heart...and she will forever.

My first big memory with her was on the second night. I had been spending my time with the two sisters and eventually, she started calling me mother. This touched my heart in a new way. I began wondering some things... I had to guess that her mother is not in her life. Some families are still in touch with their daughters, but I assume hers isn't. She was calling a perfect stranger one of the dearest names. A mother is someone who loves and protects you. A mother is a person who provides. What did I do that she would call me mother? Might I mention that she is just 3 years younger than me? I can't imagine a 17 year old that I know today walking up to me and calling me that. But I am going to be honest, I wish I could have brought her home to be her mother. But I know that it must be my place to love her from the other side of the world.

Something I should mention before I begin the next memory is that we were not really supposed to ask girls what their stories are. No matter how close we felt to them, some of them are not far enough in the healing process to verbalize their stories outside of counseling. So stories just were not shared. I don't know if the girls realize that we know why they live there, or if they think we don't have any idea.

The second memory I should mention was after devos on the same night that she called me mother. One of the other girls on our team had given her own testimony of how her father trafficked her as a child. After devos, the girl who called me mother found our translator so she could tell me something. She pulled Theara over and spoke to her a minute and told her to tell me something that shocked me. She wanted me to know that she had the same story as the girl who gave her testimony... that she had also been trafficked. I honestly had no idea what to say, so I just hugged her. Her sister was standing right there so I just hugged both of them. I told them I loved them. What do you say when a girl wants you to know that she had been trafficked? I was touched that she wanted me to know.

The final one happened on our last day in town. We had stopped by the salon where the girls work (this particular girl works there) and were going to walk over to the market. So we walk over, and we notice some of the girls that work at the salon were shopping. So I found my girl and gave her a hug and told her I would see her later tonight. So we go back to the salon where we were supposed to meet and she pulled me into a back room. She then gave me a necklace. I'll just be honest, when I saw the necklace I had to let out a little giggle. It's a pretty good sized guitar. It's unique, but I have to love it. I couldn't believe that she would spend her money on me. I wanted to tell her to get her money back! But I have worn it every single day since I left and will continue to. It's the silliest necklace, but it's probably she most meaningful peace of jewelry I have.

I wish I could tell you her name, or show you her beautiful face... and I can in person. But for the safety of the girls we are not to share their information or publish pictures to the internet. I would love for you to find me and ask to see her picture, along with her sisters...and show you the beautiful necklace she gave to me.

After she began to call me mother I would correct her and tell her we are sisters. Instead of her being my daughter, I told her it would be better if we are sisters because we will be sisters for eternity, so we should just start being sisters now. One of the things that excites me most about Heaven right now is knowing that I can talk to all of my dear sisters from Rapha. I can talk to them without frustration, hesitation, or worry that they will understand. And the best part is we are going to be worshipping the same God together for longer than a lifetime.

6 comments:

My Dear Gs... said...

Another great post, Abigail. You know what I was just thinking? That I can't wait to meet both girls...and I know me and the whole rest of the fam will get to meet them in Heaven. That's so cool!!

Also, LOVE your new blog layout. It's very "you." :-)

Unknown said...

this trip to Cambodia sounds like it changed your life and made an incredible impact on your heart. i learned about rapha house last summer and all of the inhumane things happening and am so impressed with your active efforts to make a difference and your desire to serve our mighty and powerful God. those girls were just as changed by you as you were by them, and your efforts are not unnoticed.

i just love you dear friend and am so excited about how God is working in your life!

--Melissa said...

Sounds like a very special guitar, indeed. I can't wait to see it, and you, and hear your stories, hear their names and see their pictures. I love seeing how Rahpa has left such an impression on your heart.

--Melissa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
amerchantheart said...

keep writing!!

Jen Osgood said...

Hello Abigail! I am Jennifer Osggood, the Administrative Coordinator for Rapha House. I just finished reading your posts and wanted to personally thank you for being sensitive about protecting the girls identity - while telling your story at the same time. Your heart for Rapha and your way with words are a gift.
Blessings to you!