Saturday, July 4, 2009

Freedom

I know that this holiday is about our freedom. As Christians it is also about our freedom from sin. But this year I can't help it but reflect on a different freedom. Freedom for people that don't live in America and don't designate today to celebrate their freedom.

In the 70's the people of Cambodia spent 4 years under the rule of the Khmer Rouge. They experienced communism. They were forced to leave their homes in the city and take part in what Pol Pot thought was the best way to run a country. He forced them to do labor as a part of his view that the agricultural lifestyle would do best for them. Eventually he began executions. Who did he have killed? Anyone who was educated, or previously worked with the government. He feared being overthrown and decided that only educated people would do that, so he had them killed. Over the four years about 1.7 million people died. They died of execution, malnutrition/starvation, and other diseases after being forced to live in the country.

I also think about each of the girls I met that are experiencing freedom today that I cannot even comprehend. They were slaves. They were slaves in like, the worst way possible. They were in bondage for years. They were used for years. But now they are in a home where they are given the freedom to be children. They laugh and play. They get an education, and they are excited about their education. They have the freedom to love life again.

I am thankful for my freedom. But for two weeks I was shown what freedom from modern day slavery is like. I was also shown places where there are still girls in bondage. I was shown a whole nation of people that have a new excitement and zest for life because they are free from the Khmer Rouge.

So today, I am thankful for my freedom. But I am thankful for the freedom of people all over the world that have been through years of slavery and bondage. I am thankful for the opportunity to see a new freedom in the Kingdom of Cambodia. I am thankful to have spent time with girls who are now dwelling in a place that they have been given a new freedom.

No comments: