Thursday, March 31, 2011

When I Became a Cultural Exegete

Well, I am back from New York City. I must say, I have never had an experience quite like the one I had this time around in the big apple.

If you ask me what the best part was: it was class. This class challenged just about every avenue of my life. It challenged the way I have lived my life prior to March 24th and how my life will be lived from now on. It challenged my view of the city and of ministry in the city. It challenged my view of poverty and the term "inner city". It challenged what I eat, drink, wear, and buy on a daily basis. It has literally challenged just about every thought I have in my daily life here in Joplin.

Now, that sounds like a lot. It is a lot. But I am not kidding when I say it challenged every aspect of my life. Not in a radical-my whole life is going to be different-way. It changed it in a, do I really understand what drives me and why I make the choices I make? Or am I in zombie world, making decisions based off of routine and what my life is supposed to be? I do think my life will be/is different than before. Don't expect a radical change in my life, but just a version of me that is aware. I am now, and forever want to be a cultural exegete.

It's nearly impossible for me to express what I learned. I am having a hard time with that. I do classify this class and trip experience as one of the top three most influential experiences I have ever had. No joke. God stirred up a brand new passion in my heart. He opened my eyes to things that I did not see before.

Okay, enough of the class-talk! I will be re-living my every day experiences over the next several days. But it would all be pointless if I did not first express the great impact the actual class had on my life. Because that is the point. Yes, I did a ton of really fun and really cool things while I was there. But just as anyone asks me about my trip I first tell them that if they have the opportunity to take this class: they must. It is too important not to know how to exegete the city.

1 comment:

Lydia said...

Can't wait to hear more about it this weekend! Sounds awesome!