Friday, May 27, 2011

One of the weirdest experiences ever.

Can I tell you about how weird Sunday was? So weird.

Tyler's parents left in the late afternoon. We both quickly fell asleep on our couch and loveseat. Graduation weekend was exhausting and our last guests had just left. I set my alarm to wake me up around 6 PM, but received a text message (and unfortunately my cell was not on silent) that woke me up. When I woke up proably around 5 or so, there was a constant rolling thunder. I went outside because it was sunny. I just stood outside watching lightning and darkness to the west and sunshine to the east. It was a very eerie thunder that took no break in between clap. It was weird but kind of cool.

I went back inside and the rain started. I watched the calm spring storm- one of the reasons why I love this part of the country so much. Quickly the storm picked up and the rain was not so calm, the winds came, and the hail came. But if I am honest- it was nothing to take cover from. This was the same storm we experienced a week earlier. I opened the door after the hail started and went outside, Tyler finally woke up to the noise the open door let in. We watched the storm and watched the news as they told us a tornado was approaching Joplin. The sirens went off so I stayed inside, but we did not experience any of the typical signs of a tornado- black clouds and sky, the noise of a train, or even a green sky.

At 6:11 PM Tyler got a text message from a mother of his friend who lives in Oklahoma. She informed us that she saw there was a devestating tornado in Joplin and wanted to check on us. We were both pretty shocked that something big had happened, we did not experience anything worth checking on. Not long later my best friend from high school, Whitney, texted me to check on us. She told me about the footage she was watching on TV- a hospital destroyed, bodies in the street, a main business street destroyed.. Again, I was so confused that anything worth checking on had happened. The texts and phone calls flooded in regarding our safety, and those were much appreciated. So many people in Oklahoma saw what happened here before we did, so as you can imagine we were anxious to start seeing the damage that was done.

It was so weird to not know how bad everything was when it was just a few miles away. It was so weird to receive our information via text message from people in Oklahoma who saw my town destroyed before I did. It was so weird to stand on my porch thinking about God's strength and the beauty of this world through the storm, while it was killing the people of my town. God protected us. And now he comforts those who lost loved ones.

When I woke up on Monday I was just confused. I knew something was wrong but I couldn't remember what. I had a bad feeling in my stomach but it took me awhile to figure out why. It wasn't until I began to check my social media outlets and noticed people talking about how Al Roker was in Joplin... oh yeah. That's why I feel so sad. I just cried for awhile before pulling myself out of bed to go downstairs and watch things like the Today Show report from a few miles away. Most mornings I have woken up early and not been able to fall back asleep. With our internet at home being out we have relied on our smart phones and the news to show us what is happening in town. It was not until this week that I actually listened to the radio in my car. I am so thankful we have so many outlets to keep us informed.
Today I am just so thankful for God's peace and presence among his people. He does not abandon us. He remains our refuge and strength no matter what is happening. My favorite verse is always helpful in times like these, I have relied on it a lot.

"I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world.” John 16:33 (NLT)

No comments: