Friday, November 7, 2008

Goodbye NYC

Another busy week is over! Only two left til I get to be home for about 12 days of fun with the family! I am so looking forward to being home for an extended time. Last time I went home was the longest I have been all semester...but my parents weren't even there for most of it! Sad day... but soon everyone will be there!

My Sunday spent in New York City was the most wonderful day ever! - NOT because of the reasons you all might think...or the reason...no, no no! - It was over all my favorite. The other church we went to besides The River was Brooklyn Tabernacle. It was amazing! It was the most homey church I feel I have ever been to. In a way it reminded me of being home because when I am at home, most everyone I pass says hello to me. That's not a bad thing, just a fact...and I felt like everyone we ever passed greeted us. People were greeting me in the bathroom. It was great! It felt like home.

I was really excited about the choir. I actually hadn't known any thing about an amazing choir until my mom told me, but that got me excited. There were about 150 people...it was made up of all different races too, which was unexpected. It was really cool to see all different people on stage. Another fun aspect was how laid back the service was. During the service the choir sang two songs as specials. There were two more times in the service that the pastor decided he wanted to hear them sing again so they sang one of the two songs again...so basically we heard both songs twice in the sermon, and if you count the rehearsals we saw- we heard each song 3 times. It was wonderful! I took some video but haven't quite figured out how to put that on here...

The rest of Sunday was just fun. We had two more speakers...which included my favorite Resa Storms. After we had our speakers, we quickly left midtown to go downtown. We got off the subway and were able to walk through NYUs campus. That was soo fun. It was cool because we were walking the streets with other college students. It gave a glimpse of what kind of life we might lead had we chosen to go to school there...it was pretty cool. It was a very cool and relaxed part of town. We had dinner at an interesting restaurant. It was called Dojo. Umm..please, ask me what kind of food it had. Yeah..I am not sure. It had Japanese food, pasta, and vegan. WEIRD mix, but it was a pretty cool restaurant. I had a really yummy dish called "Pasta Broadway". It was fettucini noodles with a creamy marinara sauce...very different from normal marinara sauce...very good. It also had two huge pieces of chicken on top. It was marvelous!

After dinner we walked briskly to Stomp. Stomp was awesome! It was hilarious! It is amazing how they never said a single word but I laughed sooo hard! There was one character, guy, person, thing...that they picked on the whole time. But there were also sooo talented! It was great. I would have loved to see a show on broadway, but this was a cool experience as well. Our walks to and from Stomp were really fun. It was a completely different side of the city... It just made me feel like if the cast of Rent lived in Manhattan, they would have lived here. Nathan told us that it is referred to as the "East Village". It was just a little crazy...we saw some interesting things down there that you wouldn't see in Midtown. It was awesome though. I don't think I would love living there...it is a little too off the wall for me, but it was great seeing a completely different side. It was VERY residential...very bohemian, I think...Tyler says "it was homier in a city sort of way. it wasn't intimidating like most of the city." That is a good way of putting it.

So that was fun! Seeing that place was great. After this we decided to head uptown for some final sight seeing. This subway ride involved our group being harrassed by a drunk man...oh dear. That was the city at it's finest =)! So this little problem made us decide to get off at Times Square instead of heading straight up to Central Park. We took a short walk through TS (as it was called most of the trip...) and then headed to Central Park. We could only walk along the outskirt trails of Central Park due to it not being the safest place to be at night...so we took a quick walk (with a quick stop for Tyler and I!) and proceeded to find a bathroom...it is SO hard to find a business to let you use the restroom without paying. So one of the kind gentlemen in our group bought some ice cream bars so the lovely ladies could go to the bathroom...how generous!

Finally, we walked back to TS and walked through one last time and headed back to Brooklyn. It was so sad to have to say goodbye to the city! But it was necessary...because now I am in the lovely, thriving metropolis of Joplin Missouri! Ugh. It gets worse everytime I think about it.

It's been two weeks and I still miss it. Oh please, someone hire me there for something! I will come running!!

Until I feel further inspiration to bless you with my words, have a lovely November weekend...my home of Ozark will be filled with the finest high schoolers of America..oh the fun!

Adios!

No comments: