Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Faithfulness

It's hard to remain silent when I am so full of words and emotion right now. It's hard to remain in the US when my heart is full of love and longing for another country. It's hard to remain still when I just need to move.

Today I needed a bit of a reminder of God's faithfulness. Well, I don't know if it's a reminder, but more of some comfort regarding his faithfulness. It's a concept I know to be true, but a concept that requires direct action from me.

First of all, I love my Life Application Study Bible. I suggest you get one too.

The very first passage I found regarding God's faithfulness in the Bible was in Deuteronomy. (Deuteronomy 7:9) Ya know the first thing that this passage told me? God keeps his covenant with those who keep his commands. This frustrated me from the moment I read it.

A year ago, while sponsoring my first high school camp, I received a loud and confident "no" when I began to ask God if I could go back to Cambodia this coming summer. Granted it was also around that time that it became clear that getting married this summer was a big possibility. I knew that while I could not go to Cambodia, I could begin a different journey. I am thankful that I got married this summer, but my heart still aches for Cambodia. I have obeyed this command of his to not return this summer. I understand it and I am okay with it. But now it's time to start asking about when I can go back. But this is what I learned in my study of how God is faithful.

I read so many times how God is faithful to those who keep his commands... and those who obey his words. But there's never a time frame included. The writers of the inspired Word of God never say "he will remain faithful to you by granting your wish in the next 1-2 years". Nope. Nothing like that. It's all, remain faithful and he will remain faithful. That's why this is so hard. What if it's not for another ten years? What if I really don't ever get to go back? I know that sometimes God has greater things in mind, but the invisible possibility of something greater is clouded by my view of something that is already great.

All through the Psalms I read about how he is faithful and just and true to his promises. Finally in the New Testament I read about a couple of important things to remember. First, he will strengthen and protect me. ( 2 Thessalonians 3:3) While I wait in silence on this pressing issue in my life, he will strengthen me. He will protect me. While it's just silence, I know that he doesn't hear silence because he can hear my heart. It's comforting to know that he is hearing me and understanding me. Another thing is that when I suffer, I need to commit myself to my faithful creator. (1 Peter 4:19) All I can do while my heart is aching to go back is commit to faithfulness. Because he is faithful in all of his promises. (Psalm 145:13)

It isn't easy to wait for something like this. But I find much comfort in knowing that he has been faithful through all generations. (Psalm 100:5) He has not forgotten about me and the desires of my heart, especially the desires to serve and love the people of Cambodia. I pray that his faithfulness is clear to you today.


No comments: