Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Passion

I am so thankful that God has given me a passion. It took me a bit more time to figure out what it was than what I would have liked but my timing isn't necessarily always best. I had the intention to become a teacher when I first came to Ozark, but it did not take me long to figure out I only saw that as my best option rather than truly finding something that was really me. It's really hard to figure out what you want to do in life, so I now totally understand people taking one year after high school to figure that out. I kind of did that but it was very convenient that I could stay at Ozark when I finally figured it out.

Through my journey at OCC God has revealed slowly through different classes that I have taken what my passion is. It was easy for me to figure out that Psychology and Counseling is where my heart is, but I'm still not even sure where that is leading me. But I am thankful for God slowly showing me different areas that I am passionate about. I don't necessarily think that these passions are going to lead me to huge careers full of money and successful things on worldly standards. I think that God has been teaching me that where he is leading me is not necessarily going to be what people expect or even okay in the world's standards. But I believe he has set my heart in the right place. As cliche as it may sound: my passion is helping people.

Choosing to stay at Ozark to pursue my bachelor's is a risky thing. I struggle with this risk on a weekly basis. I can't go anywhere I want to grad school... There is a specific list of places I could possibly get in to. But there's no telling if I will even end up close to those places. This is why it is a risk. It's risky because this path may not lead me to some high paying, or paid at all, job. But God has laid it on my heart that he is going to take care of us if I will honor him by pursuing his will for my life. I am okay with this, but I keep running in to people who are not. I understand the use of financial security- I really do. I understand that it is important. But I can't deny God's calling, I am sure of his calling on my life and  of the fact that if I am honoring God's will that he provide and he will take care of me. I am his child no matter what. 

My struggle is rooted in the fact that audible voices can be more easily heard than the voice from my Father. But if I am constantly pursuing his voice over this world my heart will remain in his plan.

1 comment:

My Dear Gs... said...

Aberdale, so proud of you for listening to God when it is much easier and more convenient to listen to the nay-sayers. If you need a boost from people who will reaffirm you to follow God's plan for your life, you know you have a family full of people who will do that for you!