Saturday, February 7, 2009

Taken

Last night I saw the movie "Taken". If you don't know what it is about, the basic premise is this. A retired FBI agent is trying to build a better relationship with his 17 year old daughter who lives with her mom and very rich step-dad. His daughter comes to him because she has to have both parents sign off to get a passport so she can spend the summer in France with a friend... the short way to it, she and her friend get tricked and are sold into human trafficking. The whole movie is about his search and rescue for his daugther.

As I watched certain scenes that showed exactly what the girls would go through as far as being forced to use drugs and eventually lose all awareness of the people around them... I couldn't believe what I had signed up for. So I am supposed to go and be with girls that have been through the real thing? How am I supposed to have anything to say to them that could possibly help them in any way? I was talking with my manager at New York and Company this morning about this. She said that God will prepare me. As I thought more and more about this, I was greatly comforted that He knows how to prepare me and I don't have to figure out myself... because I would never know how to prepare myself. In four months I am going to be in contact with girls that have lived this story out...well, kind of.

The difference between this movie and the real thing is that in most cases, at least in Cambodia, the girls are sold by their fathers, or loved ones. This movie depicted something else... It showed how amazing this father's love was for his daughter who he barely even knew. But in the real stories, the father is the one selling. They don't have fathers saving them straight from the brothel. Complete strangers are saving them. How rough is that?

So exactly four months from today I will board a plane to fly to Los Angeles to meet my team and then fly to Cambodia the very next day. I didn't think I'd ever be doing anything like this... but here I am.

4 comments:

pam curran said...

"here I am"...a rather infamous person once said that. God used him...Isaiah isn't bad company to keep (Is. 6:8) actually someone else used that line...Samuel (I Sam.3). God always prepares those He sends AND He goes with them. yay God. and yay YOU... God is proud of the step you are taking and so are a host of regular type people!!

Charlie Curran said...

Abigail

I saw the movie last week. ( With Michael Beaumont). I could not help hold my breath as I watched the movie unfold. I thought at first... "Abigail is not going to Cambodia...period... " But then as I thought about it I realized that God was sending you there... that you are going to Cambodia to bring hope to these girls who have found them in this hideous situation. A peace came over me.... You will be in God's hands... used by him... and no matter where you are, that is the safest place to be.

Of course, you will have a cell phone, you will call me when you arrive, you will call me each morning and each night, you will talk to no one else..... no boys at the airport... etc.

I love you and love how God is using you.

Dad

--Melissa said...

Abigail,

This is awesome. As I was reading about how in Cambodia thier fathers sell them in to human trafficing, and in the movie the father is rescuing his daughter from trafficing, this is awesome. It makes me think that in Cambodia, their earthly fathers may be selling them into trafficing, but the heavenly father is there to rescue them.

I'm proud of you for stepping out of your comfort zone. I understand how hard that is to do. You've inspired me. :)

Melissa Hinton

Our Life... said...

Hey Abigail,

I came across your blog through Elizabeth's blog. It sounds like you will being doing good work in Cambodia. I hope you have the opportunity to view Angkor Wat and the other temples. Cambodia is one of my most favorite countries that I've visited. Wishing you the best and I look forward to hearing about your visit.