Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Lifestyle Changes

Okay, so I have made some decisions.

First of all, Facebook has lost it's desire for me. It's more of a time waster for me. There are a few people I communicate with on a regular basis on the website, but they are all people I communicate with out side of Facebook. So for the time being, I am not going to use Facebook. I also don't love how communication on Facebook has taken the place of communication out in the real world. I have found that if I don't communicate with someone on Facebook then there is some negative tone about our relationship. I guess I place less value on Facebook relationships than real ones. However anyone else uses Facebook is totally fine with me, but right now it is more of a negative aspect of life than a positive one.

At the beginning of the semester I made the goal to work out three times a week. I have held to this all but one week. Last week I failed to workout three times because on my final day of working out, I did something to my back shortly after waking up. I think it's all better, so I should be good to go this week. This is a change I don't love. Mostly because it's a far drive to the YMCA. There are two in Joplin but one is a little ghetto and in a sketchy part of town. Going there by myself scares me. So I have to drive around 20 minutes to get to the nicer one that is in a better location. I also have the issue of becoming bored while working out. Now, my YMCA here has a personal TV at each workout machine, so that helps. But I am also going to take a book or possibly my Bible to see if this can help the boredom factor. I have an awesome accountability partner who gets really upset when I am not putting effort into working out. That is a big help to me. I told them my goal and they make sure to keep me to it.

This week, I decided to try change number 3. Food. I am going to be honest, I don't eat in the cafeteria a lot. I do several times a week. My problem with the cafeteria is that I feel disgusting when I leave. I don't feel like I am eating well unless I go in and have salad. I have also been trying to minimize the junk food I eat and eat a lot more healthy food. So this week I bought much better groceries than I usually do. I think this will definitely help me. I am not in the market to lose lots of weight, I am okay with my weight. I just think I need to be healthier. I have decided to incorporate fruits and vegetables into every single day. (Wait, you mean I wasn't doing that already? Nope!) So I bought things like grapes, bananas, carrots, and salad. I have also been consistently eating breakfast. My breakfast ranges from a banana, cereal, or a granola bar.

On top of these things I have also decided to read more. Coming from me that's a weird statement because I really do read A LOT. I am always reading a book. I read all kinds of books too. But I decided that I would like to read more books that benefit me in more ways than a fictional escape for a couple hours a week. I won't give up my novels, because I do have a love for reading and they aren't negative influences on my life. But I think I could just use more beneficial reading. I think I might start by reading Beth Moore's new book about Insecurity. I have never read a book by her or done a Bible study that she has written, so I thought maybe she would be a good place to start! Beyond that, the high school girls d-group that I lead has just started a study on Crazy Love by Francis Chan. So I am sure that will help too =)!

I don't really know the reasoning behind the changes, but I feel they are necessary. I would like to be healthier in general. I don't just mean physically, but mentally and spiritually as well. I think each of these things promote healthier lifestyles. Life has been really good lately as I have worked through some problems of my own, and now I feel like it's time to take the next step: I want to become even better. There is no reason for me not to, and I really don't want to plateau right now. So here I go!

No comments: