Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Happy 21st to me!

I just wanted to briefly write about Monday. Monday was my 21st birthday. I decided last week that I would go home the weekend before so I could spend some time with my family for my birthday, but my mom told me on Friday that she and my dad were going to come up on Monday to take Tyler and I out to dinner.

Tyler and I planned on going out, but gladly moved our date since my parents decided to make a special trip (which ended up being good since Tyler has been very sick). For the last five years of my life I have had a birthday party. But- that's just not me anymore. I enjoy a simple setting and didn't really want to do anything high energy. I just want the people who love me most to be with me. So I woke up, went to work from 8-5 just like a typical Monday. Then I waited for my parents to arrive... when they did I was greatly surprised! They brought Lydia and James! So we went to the restaurant and I told the hostess how many people we had but my mom told me that we didn't have 6 people, but there were really 9 coming! So another surprise - Liz, Nathaniel and Grace came!

This was a great surprise... and a very very pleasant one! If you know me at all, you know that family dinners are my favorite. It's always a special treat. There's always very interesting and fun conversation, not to mention the entertaining level has gone up since Grace was born. So each of them making a special trip up to Joplin for me was the perfect birthday. Only two things could have made it better - if Joel were there and if Tyler hadn't been so sick! But other than that, it was probably my most favorite birthday in a long time! It's not that I don't love my friends and want to celebrate with them (which I will on another day, but once again, a small group of 4 people), but being surrounded by the people who mean most to me was just wonderful. I wouldn't have spent it any other way!

So thanks so much to my wonderful mother, father, sisters, brother-in-laws, niece, and fiance for making it the best birthday yet!

1 comment:

My Dear Gs... said...

Yay for surprise birthday dinners! It was so fun. On the way home, I told Nathaniel I just wished I lived close enough to do that with everyone every Monday night! :-)